Loading...

Thursday, January 7, 2010

LISTEN UP: Matt Cusson


How did you first become interested in music?
Music is all I’ve ever known, and all I’ve ever did even since I was a baby. My mom was a classical piano teacher. So there was always a piano around. I was always banging on a piano. My dad was a choir director/arranger. So that’s part of it. But between all my family I heard lots of different genres. My brother was in to Billy Joel and Rock. My sister was really into Funk, and R&B. My listened to Balladeers and lots of Classical music. My dad was a straight Jazz cat. So I became this melting pot of music and that’s why I like so many styles.

Who are some of your influences?
Oh My God, there’s so many. Michael Jackson, Stevie. Miles Davis is a huge influence, Coltrane and those cats. Oscar Peterson. Djavan, is a Brazilian cat, that some people may not be familiar with. He’s incredible. I like a lot of Gospel. Kim Burrell, I like her. Take 6 is another one. It’s really too many to name. It’s a never ending answer.

How would you describe your style?
That’s my least favorite question. I don’t know if it fits into just one genre and that’s the problem. When we talk to industry execs, they don’t know how to categorize it. If you listen to the album, there’s a lot of Jazz, and Soul. There’s a Country song, a lullaby. It’s a little of everything. There’s an accapella cut too. Just a lot of stuff. I don’t like to be pigeon holed. Miles Davis didn’t like to be called a Jazz cat. He said good music is good music. That’s how I feel too. Like Quincy Jones said, let the song write itself. On I-tunes I’m Jazz, on Amazon I’m listed as Pop. I let them worry about that. I just make the music.



What makes your Music different?
Well one thing is, I don’t limit myself. Some people change what they feel because the label won’t like it or because radio won’t play it. I go there-all the time. I want you to hear something that you haven’t heard before. It’s really musical, and its Jazz based. But it’s ear friendly to everyone.

What’s next for Matt?
Well right now I’m working on the new music, but I’m still doing dates here and there of my music. I’m also still playing with Brian Mcknight too. He has a late night show coming and I may be in the house band. It’s still too early to say for sure. But I am definitely working.
What do you want people to know about Matt Cusson?
I’m easy to find. I’m on Facebook, Twitter, all that stuff. They can find the music on I-tunes, Amazon and even some FYE stores. The album is self-titled. I’m working on a 2nd one, to be out by spring next year. But really I’m just a regular guy who loves music.

No comments:

Post a Comment