Loading...

Thursday, January 7, 2010

LISTEN UP: Saudia Mills


How did you get started?
Saudia: I started much later than some of my peers. A friend I went to high school with, Damian Knapp, heard me singing at work one day. He said “I didn’t know you could sing”. He had a band and he asked me to join a couple times but it took me close to a year before I actually joined the group. Performing with them was my first time in a club atmosphere. As I continued to work with them I got more confident, I eventually joined other groups and then I started doing my own shows. When I saw the reception I got from my solo shows I was hooked. Shortly after that, I started writing music and doing spoken word, networking and meeting new people. Some years later, I quit my well paying job to come to LA and pursue my dreams of being an entertainer. Once I got here I started acting and modeling and still singing. My acting has included some extra work but I’m most proud of the theater productions I’ve been a part of; “Momma Christine’s Colored Girls,” “Man Lies”, and “The Battle is not Yours”.

Who are some of your influences?
Saudia: My mom didn’t listen to a large variety of music. She didn’t listen to all the Motown stuff. I think her favorite artist was Denise La Salle, a Blues singer. Some of my favorites are John P Key, Gladys Knight, Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill, Mario and NeYo. He’s kind of changed it up a bit for the men. Alicia Keys, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia, Faith Evans and a few.

What makes you different from other artists?
Saudia: Like Gladys Knight said “Everything’s been warmed over” so it’s not a whole lot you can do to make music so much more different any other music that has be out there. I think it’s more of the personality you give your music that makes it different. How you tell the story. I’m more of the girl next door, positive lyrics. I try to draw people to me. I talk about stuff I can relate too, stuff that’s tangible. I try to show my personality in the music. We all have a little Blues, Soul and Hip Hop in us so I hope to show that in my music.

How would you describe you style?
Saudia: I wrote poetry first before I wrote songs. So a lot of my songs have that kind of feel. At this point it’s combined. Then put a melody to it and its hot. I call it “afrolificposingertry”. That’s black people speaking in poetry and song.

What do you want people to know about Saudia Mills?
Saudia: I’ve grown musically, spiritually, and my appreciation of family and friends has strengthened. I’m stronger now. As I enter the industry, I know I can handle anything. I don’t know everything, but I know God will bring me through everything. Otherwise I just hope people like and embrace what I’m doing. They can find me at www.relicent.com http://www.reverbnation.com/saudiamills email me at saudiamillsmusic@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment