Loading...

Thursday, January 7, 2010

LISTEN UP: Kendra Ross


How did you become interested in music?
I was born a performer. I came out of the womb putting on shows for anyone who would watch! However, I also grew up in a church-going family, we used to sing so that was my first real start. I eventually went on to attend dance school at the age of 3 or 4 then the middle school for the arts. I guess my interest grew from all of that exposure. I knew that I wanted to make entertaining my career before my 10th birthday.

Who are some of your influences?
Oh my, there are so many. Everyone from Donny Hathaway, Sarah Vaughan, Phyllis Hyman, Anita Baker, Mary J. Blige, Lewis Taylor, Jeff Buckley, Joni Mitchell, Sade, Barbra Streisand, Janet Jackson...the list goes on, way too many to name.

How would you describe your style?
Grown-folk music but not dated; Classy but not stuffy; Glamorous but not pretentious; Soulful but not limited to that either. It’s Good ole all American R&B with a touch of Jazz, Gospel, Folk, Rock, and more.


How is your music different from other new artist?
It's just me. I am not one of those people who goes into the studio purposely trying to make a "different" record. I just do me and try to make it reflect the best me possible. As a result, it should be somewhat different because I am an individual. I will say that I try not to limit myself to one idea or genre. I do what I feel in the moment so that might make me a little different than some new artists.

What do you want people to know about Kendra Ross?
Though I've been around for awhile, I've really only just begun. What you've seen from me so far barely skims the surface of who I am; my passions, abilities, and offerings. I'm growing like everyone else and wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment