Loading...

Friday, March 19, 2010

L Debois The Return of Soul


How did you get your start?

I’ve been doing music since I was little. I grew up with music in the house, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, that’s what I grew up listening to. I started off imitating other singers. I’ve known for a long time that I wanted to do music. I learned to play the guitar, piano, harmonica, I play a little drums too. I just love making music. I was doing music in Atlanta for a while. Then I moved to LA, and I was recording with a friend of mine and I got signed to Def Jam. The label was going through some stuff at the time. I asked to be released from my contract, they said ok. So I’ve been doing music independently. Now I have an album out on iTunes, it’s called “Acoustic Voyage”.

Who are some of your influences?

Donny, Stevie. Michael was a big influence when I was younger. He was an influence on everybody. I listened to Jimmy Hendrix and Curtis Mayfield. Most of my influence comes from older music. Even now I still listen to a lot of old music. I want to know where everything came from, to understand it. I listen to some new stuff just to stay up to date. I listen to India Arie, John Legend or some Anthony Hamilton.


What makes your music different?
I try to bring a moral consciousness to the music, that’s one of the main things. I tell the young people to respect the elders, tell women to protect their chastity, to be the best you can. We’re missing a since of morality. The music that does have that element isn’t being promoted. Most of the music we here on Black radio is sex, drugs and partying. It’s the sad truth. I’m not knocking what anyone else is doing but we need to encourage something different and give an alternative solution.

What do you want people to know about El Debois?
I’m here. I’m going to continue to bring good music that hopefully will inspire you to make change. It’s more to me than just the music, it’s the message. It’s not about the money; I’d do this for free. I want to change the hearts of people. I want to benefit society. I also want people to they can get the album “Acoustic Voyage” on iTunes. It’s a live album. People on Youtube liked what they saw and requested it. So now it’s here.

No comments:

Post a Comment